Thursday, February 19, 2009

SLAMFIRE - 2

Slamfire and dropfire are real risks for pistols if improperly designed,
modified, handled, or maintained. (This includes Glock and others.)
I regularly check the movement of a firing pin using my finger, or a probe,
to sense free movement, and check for a firm spring return.

If I want to make a rough check on my firing pin system, I place a piece
of black tape on the back of a metal snap cap (dummy round), or on a fired
empty cartridge case, then chamber the test item, letting the slide slam shut.
I check the tape for any dent. . A tiny dent "might" be acceptable.

Then I drop the gun three feet onto the muzzle to a firm, not hard, surface.
Then I again check the tape for a dent. Finally, I pull the trigger to check
for a normal-looking dent.

- - - - W A R N I N G - - - -
On some Keltec pistols, the firing pin retaining screw is a headless setscrew
that moves toward the centerline of the pin, and if tightened at all, it can lock
the firing pin in a dangerous forward position.
http://tinyurl.com/be4kjo
It's normal to hold the pin forward as the setscrew is adjusted to retain the pin,
and if free movement of the pin is not then checked, a slamfire can occur,
which can empty the magazine ... while the muzzle rises after each shot.

KTOG.org censored a warning on this hazard. . It was deleted by TxCajun,
who also claimed that a test confirming the hazard was an illegal alteration,
when it was actually just a natural error made possible due to poor KT design.
TxCajun should hope that this hazard does not result in a death or injury.

www.1bad69.com/keltec/droptestresults.htm
www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1157994707
www.e-gunparts.com/forum/readit.asp?qt=84663&cat=7
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be brief.
Inappropriate portions will be snipped.